Saturday 7 December 2013

Grudle Bay - Colder

Colder EP cover art

Welcome to Saturday - and a second blog for the weekend. I know. I like you to all think I've got some semblance of a life, but the reality is quite the opposite. Today has mostly consisted of flat-hunting and trying to actually figure out what planet estate agents actually frequent (answer - not earth). So to say I'm feeling a bit fracticatiously overwhelmed is an understatement. Fracticatiously is another word I've just invented. No, there's not a thing you can do about it.

I am therefore in need of some music to really cheer me along and I believe I've found the very thing to share with you. This is the third in my mini series of posts showcasing PinDrop Publicity and it features another Oxfordian band called Grudle Bay.

First of all - here's their bandcamp page:

http://grudlebay.bandcamp.com/

Which contains their mighty fine EP called "Colder", which was released in October. So, please hop on over there and give it a wee listen.

I lamented earlier on in the week that I didn't cover much electronica on these pages - so this has come at the right time. Although I LOVE my guitar music and am a big folk fan, there is something to be said for the delicate persuasion of anything dancey tinged in thegeneral's eyes. Although this isn't entirely electronic, it has got one foot firmly in the pop/upbeat/dance category and it's a perfect example of a record that explores both genres in a worthy and workable way.

This three track EP is really great. The opening track "Colder" is so reminiscent of everything that was great about 80s music, yet retaining a distinctly up to the minute feel. Although the name doesn't suggest it, it's the kind of track I'd imagine listening to in warm Summer sunshine, lying back on the grass and feeling happy. Well, that's how it feels to me anyway...it brought a bit of cheer to a chilly, dark early evening.

The second track, "Running" is mellow, harmonious and a delight. The vocals are floaty light and dreamy. In some ways, I'd compare Grudle Bay to another one of my favourite acts, Scottish popsters Django Django, especially with regard to this song - they've got that same way of creating tight harmonies that really seem to draw you in and make you focus on the lyrics.

Final track "Fool Around" is a great way to end the selection. It is a gentle, breathy effort, with a kind of circular feel to it, it's calm, its relaxing and again with a real nod to the 80s. In fact, here, have a look at them performing it live

GRUDLE BAY - FOOL AROUND

..and you'll see exactly what I mean...

So there you go. Grudle Bay. Another excellent act from Oxford to look out for on your travels. In the meantime, get on over to bandcamp, download their shizz and give them a lift...aye thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment