Saturday 10 May 2014

Menswe@r - Crash

Menswe@r’s avatar




I haven't been this excited since they bumped my pocket money up to £3.50 in 1994. (£4 if I did the pots on Tuesday nights). Happy Saturday, by the way, and welcome to a new blog...a blog which in all honesty is going to be filled with much squeeing and giggles of helpless delight. "Why?" I hear about one and a half of you cry. Well, I'll tell thee...

Menswe@r are back. YES, you read it right. Menswe@r - and this pleases me greatly. 

It's actually just nearly floored me to find out that it's almost 20 years since "Daydreamer" came out - probably the song that everyone associates them with. I vividly remember hearing it all the time on the radio and singing it at school (for I was in the middle of my GCSEs when it came out) at the back of my Economics class (I was more interested in Johnny Dean than Supply and Demand of GDP or whatever it was we were doing or something or nothing). 

But times change, and although the band split and moved in different directions - Johnny's been very honest and forthright about his experiences during that time - that song always did stay with me - as did their album "Nuisance" which I still think is a bit of an under-rated Britpop classic - and if you don't agree, tough, it's my blog so shut up and go away. 

So colour me fucked when I found out a new single was in the pipeline - and I've been lucky enough receive it to review for you all. Yes. 

"Crash" is, all being well, released on June 2nd and my GOD it's a corker. You can pre-order it from Post Pop Records here:


And, if you're a self respecting Menswe@r fan, I suggest you do. The line up may be different, but the sound is still just stunning and Johnny - well, be still my beating heart, you've still got it...

It's sparky, it's full of energy, it's punky and it feels exciting. It feels actually like being a teenager again - it literally did fill me with delight hearing it for the first time. Of course, everyone's older now - we all are, but there is something so enticing about hearing a song like this you can't help but want to shake your hips and sing along. This is indie pop as it should be. The guitars and vocals work well together and seem to "sing" with each other in a lovely way, it's almost like a question and answer between the two. Johnny, for me, did always have one of the more distinctive voices of the 1990s and yeah, it's so great to hear him again and know he's at his best. It's a, pardon the pun, very driven record - it feels alive, alert and I can only hope there's a lot more to come...

"Crash" is getting some good airplay at the moment and justifiably so - thegeneral has added it to her list of songs that are going to be with her throughout the Summer. If you've got any sense, you will too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment