Tuesday 15 July 2014

Rob Reed - Sanctuary



Happy Tuesday evening to you all. Yet again we're almost mid point in the week - and though the urge to kill everything with fire (or gin) is very strong, it's nothing a packet of ready salted and a strong cup of tea won't fix.

I'm absolutely super super super excited to be writing this latest post and so you'll have to forgive me if it seems like I'm falling over and frothing like a Victorian lady with a corset that's too tight and no smelling salts within fainting distance.

Regular readers of my blog know that I am huge fan of Mike Oldfield. In fact, if you really want to, you can go and read my previous posts on him HERE. My dear old Pa, alongside weaning me on folk music, also made sure I had a very healthy dose of Mike's music thrown into the mix. I've always loved him and always will and there's not a thing you can do to stop me.

This weekend, as sometimes happens, you come across something that really does stop you in your tracks for a moment. Facebook, for all it's faults, does sometimes throw up the odd gem - and on Saturday, I was lucky enough to come across this video. It's an edited excerpt from a brand new album called "Sanctuary" by Rob Reed. I now actually do demand you go and listen to it now.


"Sanctuary" is a brand new composition, that has been put together as Rob's way of honouring Oldfield's legacy to music and in particular the album that everyone probably knows him best for - "Tubular Bells". I first heard this album when I was 8 years old. I'm now almost 35 and it has captivated me ever since. It never gets old, it never feels dull. It always gives me goosebumps. 

Rob, according to the album blurb wanted to make sure that he did not slip into pastiche with this album, and he hasn't. Whilst there are many remarkable similarities to Oldfield's other albums - including "Incantations", "Ommadawn" and "Hergest Ridge" in there, the work still feels fresh, unique and exciting. Reed is also a multi-instrumentalist and whilst he produced the album himself - it was mastered by two of Oldfield's collaborators Tom Newman and Simon Heyworth, who produced "Tubular Bells" in 1973. 

You can hear Rob talking about the album here:



"Sanctuary" is an absolute must for any fans of Mike Oldfield. It's also a must for anyone who likes really good, solid, well thought out multi-layered music that has the ability to hook you in after just one listen. 

I was wary and wondered whether I would like it or not, but I found it an absolute joy. thegeneral's father also played it and loved it straight away. In fact both of us have put the CD on pre-order and, so should you...

You need to know the necessaries. If you'd like to make a purchase then please go to Rob Reed Official to buy. You will not regret it! It's out on 21st July. 




No comments:

Post a Comment