Saturday 15 November 2014

Provincials - When The Light Changes

When the Light Changes EP cover art

Hola babes. I love the way you've done your eyeliner. It would have been even better if you'd done it sober. And with the hand that wasn't dodgy. But never mind, You've made the effort. That counts for something.

We're getting awfully close to Christmas now. I've just got back in from town. I know that the festive season is upon us because the shopping centre was full of irate women walking three steps in front of their husbands going "I don't know why we're shopping for your Aunty May, anyway, Brian, she never thanked me for those bath cubes in 1973". Brian, meanwhile looks on and wishes he could be having a nice sit down with a cup of coffee. On another continent.

So I've just sat down with a brew myself and I'm in need of something to chill me out. Reader, I think I might have it.

I'd like to introduce you to a stellar, stellar band called Provincials. First of all, here is the link to their latest release, which comes out on Monday 17th November and you can pre-order from Bandcamp:

provincials.bandcamp.com/

This is right up my street. The EP opens with a beautiful track called "White With Waving Goodbye". It starts off with a fantastic guitar pick, very very maths-rock esque in style and wonderfully intricate. Polly Perry's vocals are so wistful and engaging - and the song is incredibly touching from start to finish. If you like maths-rock style (think TTNG et al) this opener will really grab you.

The second preview track from the release is "Jesus Christ" and this is equally lovely, bluesy, soulful and calming to listen to. This is a fantastic track to listen to if you like seasonal music - but are a leetttttle beeet sick of the usual suspects year after year and would like something a bit heartwarming and touching to listen to, that doesn't make you want to boak eggnog. A thoroughly lovely listen.

As previously mentioned, the EP comes out on 17th November and it should be high up on your list of "must purchase music wise" this month. Add Provincials to your music collection now and forever. Do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment