Sunday 24 May 2015

HOT HEAD SHOW / Ay! : Split 7 inch Single

Logo Zebra

OK, now - how about this for a total, utter and complete (yet still fabulous) departure. We're taking a blog path that deviates so far from what you're used to reading/hearing on here that some of you might possibly need a steadying cup of tea to bolster you.

I have a total treat for you now - especially if you'd like your head messing with (musically).

It's rare I get to feature a split single these days - with two bands to review for the price of one, but today I'm going to remedy this with a really brilliant release from two bands I'm very new to - the first of these is HOT HEAD SHOW from London. The second is the beautifully nuts Ay! from Roma, Italy. Both come hot from the desk of PindropPublicity, who never fail to send me the best stuff to get my teeth into.

First of all, some necessaries - for HOT HEAD SHOW:

Here's their website

hotheadshow.com/

Here's their Facebook:

facebook.com/HOTHEADSHOW/timeline

...and now for AY!

Here's their bandcamp:

aytheband.bandcamp.com/

And finally, here is the link to the new split single release on the soundcloud page:

soundcloud.com/hot-head-show/sets/hot-head-show-ay-split-7inch

I don't think I've heard anything quite as barking mad as this in a long time - and I love both these bands for it. HOT HEAD SHOW are described as 'avant bang!' and, yep, I don't think I'd argue with that. Their track "Medication, A Success Story"is batshit insane. It's totally impossible to sit still and listen to it. It's got the most chippy, infectious guitar and drumming LIEK EVA U GUISE. The lyrics/vocals are just as wonderful too. This is one of those songs that boxes you round the ears and demands you listen to it at least twelvety bajillion times. I just have done. I'm totally in love.

To follow this, we have a complete contrast in Ay! - well, (aye, well?) Well, not a contrast in that this is a complete departure too, but after the insanity of HOT HEAD SHOW, this is a mellow, jazzy speed calypso interlude with a funky drumming bit and some rootin' tootin' saxaphone.

This kind of stuff is a music reviewers dream - it grabs you by the lapels, shakes you up and makes you want more.

LISTEN NOW AT ONCE OTHERWISE THERE WILL BE TROUBLE WHEN YOU GET HOME TONIGHT.

No comments:

Post a Comment