Wednesday 27 May 2015

Octopuses/Milk & Biscuits Split Single - Pogo/Towns Are Concrete Holes

Octopuses image



It's still Wednesday. If I close my eyes and wish hard enough, weekend will bite me on the ankle, I know it. For my third and final blog of the day, I want to bring you another really really excellent split single release. I know, I haven't had one for ages - then two come along at once...

The wonderful chaps at PinDropMusic sent this most very brilliant two track collection to me to have a listen to. Coming via Lick Music (lickyogurt.com/music/) if you want to look at their site, this lovely single features two bands - Octopuses and Milk & Biscuits, both hailing from Brighton.

First of all, I'd like you to have a look at all the necessaries for both groups:

For Octopuses, here is their Twitterz

twitter.com/octopuses100

Here is their Facebookz:

facebook.com/octopusesband

and here is their Bandcampz:

octopuses.bandcamp.com/

For Milk & Biscuits, here is their Twitterz

twitter.com/milkandbisc

Here is their Facebookz:

facebook.com/pages/Milk-Biscuits/

Now then. There are two very important videos to accompany this delicious split single. Here they are - firstly, Octopuses and their song "Pogo"


Secondly, Milk & Biscuits and their track "Towns are Concrete Holes"



In the greatest possible way, Octopuses song reminded me of Madness. Now for anyone who knows me well, they'll remember that Madness were (and still are) one of my all time favourite groups. This song follows in their hallowed tradition, even down to the brilliantly sparky video. It's got a superb catchy hook, it makes you really want to move around and it captures a time and sound that often gets very overlooked. It's a real corker of a song.

Similarly, Milk & Biscuits tread a really delightful 80s sounding path. It's a track which has a super vibe to it, cracking organ vibe in it. If Octopuses reminded me of Madness, these guys put me in mind of what might happen if Squeeze met with Stereolab in the pub one evening. It's another really great listen, slightly more muted - and provides a great contrast to the first. 

The split single is out in June on the previously mentioned Lick Music. Check it/them out. I highly recommend both!  


No comments:

Post a Comment